The NINO GOGE GALLERY is located at Nr. 8 Jakob Nikoladze Street in Tbilisis’s Vera district, more precisely, the area is called Pikris Gora (“Thought Hill“), a small and curious micro-district within the city whose inhabitants lead their own lifestyle. The area is surrounded by the Varaziskhevi (Varazi Valley), Melikishvili Street and Kostava Street. The dominant architecture here dates from the times of the soviet urbanization schemes in 1960s and 70s, however single examples of late 19th century architecture can be found. The origin of the Name Pikris Gora is not known, it is assumed that it used to be a place where travelers to Tbilisi had a rest before entering the city. From the hill one can enjoy a panoramic view over the Heroes’ Square, an eleven story building from 1937, the ruins of the old silk factory and the Circus building on the opposite hill, built in 1940. The street is named after the Georgian sculptor Jakob Nikoladze (1876-1951), who had his house and workshop here. Jakob Nikoladze is considered to be a leading innovator of Georgian sculpture and he co-founded the Tbilisi State Academy of Arts. From 1904 -1910 he lived in Paris and worked in Auguste Rodin’s atelier. In 1925, he suggested to name a nearby street after Rodin, and it is in Rodin Street Nr. 6 that we find the Jakob Nikoladze Museum today. During Soviet times the renowned Jakob Nikoladze Art Institute could be found here. In the surrounding area, there are some famous buildings of the Soviet Modernity: the Georgian National Philharmonic Hall (1974) and the Technical Library (1986) on Kostava Street as well as the former Hotel Sakartvelo (1958) on Melikishvili Street, built in post-Stalin times, it is now home to displaced persons from Abchasia. At the beginning of the 21st century new residential buildings and hotels were built on Pikris Gora, and a number of alternative clubs, bars and off-spaces were opened.